Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Black" Films.




"I always give the example, if you turn on the radio today, black radio, Lenny Kravitz is not black. Bob Marley wasn't black: in the beginning, only white college stations played Bob Marley." Spike Lee

"I'd like to state that Spike Lee is not saying that African American culture is just for black people alone to enjoy and cherish. Culture is for everybody."
Spike Lee


April 24, 2012 4:13 p.m. Starbucks coffee Atlanta, Ga

Reporter: I hear that the n word was left out of the dialogue for this particular film. love && logic. Was that something you left out strategically or-

Me: No it wasn't strategic. I had my lead character Chase using the word "nigga" a total of like 3 times through out the entire screenplay. During the rewriting process ... the word... kinda... disappeared. I think "bro" is a lot more in with the times.

I smile.

Reporter: So black film.

Me: Yea... black film.

(In my head I'm thinking ... oh lord, I wonder how many times in her career she used the term "white film" But I assume it's relevant.)

I sigh and smile again.

Reporter: The history of black film... well black film itself... tells a story that challenges the perceptions of race and class in America don't you think?

Me: Yea typically, but the history of "commercially" successful blacks films also tell a interestingly different story... Don't you think?

Reporter: How so?

Me: Well ...  since my cast is predominately all black, the writer (myself) is black....the directors are black, well shit there it goes... I must have made a "black film". But the truth is... the film itself... what the story is truly about... isn't telling a tale of a black experience. The film is about love, life, decision making. Not about a group of black friends experience with black love, black life, black decision making. Just love. Love has no color. The characters just happen to be black. I apologize for my language but... I just don't want my film to be limited to, or referred to ONLY as a black film.  It's just a film... just like ... I don't know ..The Pursuit of Happiness. Is the Pursuit of Happiness considered a "black" film? Just asking. Does the term white film even exist... well outside of the black community? This film... love&&logic will transcend generations, race, age, etc. We create films with everyone in mind.

Reporter: You somewhat didn't answer the question though. What story specifically does "successful" black commercial film tell?

Me: I mean the numbers say it all. The numbers don't lie. Take a look at the ten highest grossing black films of all times, then ...take a look at a list of the 10 BEST... most artistic black films of all times. The 9th highest grossing "black" film is Little man. (awkward silence) Little man? No shade though. I believe, the common denominator between the highest grossing black films is success with largely non black audiences worldwide. Simple. I assume a white person going to see Boyz in the Hood would have a largely different movie experience then going to see something like Big Mommas House.  But that's a whole other debate... topic of discussion. And this is just my opinion. (another silence) Opinions and assholes right?

I flash one more smile at her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 10 Highest-Grossing Black Films of all times.

10. Are We There yet (2005) -$97,918,663
9.   Little Man  (2006) - $101,535,047
8.   Ray (2004) - $125,305,995
7.   Boomerang (1992) - $131,052,444
6.   Big Mommas House 2 (2006)- $137,047,376
5.   Bad Boys (1995) - $141,247,413
4.   Dreamgirls (2006) - $154,965,956
3.   Big Mommas House (2000) - $173,559,438
2.   Bad Boys 2 (2003) - $272,940,870
1.   Coming to America (1988) - $288,800,000

Ten Great Black Films (in no particular order)

10. Malcolm X
9.  The Color Purple
8.  Boyz in the Hood
9.  Glory
8.  A Soldier's Story
7.  Do The Right Thing
6.  Purple Rain
5.  Poetic Justice
4.  Carmen Jones
3.  What's Love Got to Do with It.
2.  Eve's Bayou
1.  Cooley High

You can find more information on love && logic (the film) at www.twitter.com/loveVerselogic www.facebook.com/a2lucyproduction a2lucyproductions@gmail.com

credits: the black youth program
What are your top 10 "films" of all times.? Leave them in the comment box.





No comments:

Post a Comment